Sunday 25 July 2010

Sometimes..........

My Darling Husband just doesn't "get" this parenting lark!

This weekend Sprog 1 has been away on Guide camp, and oh the peace! (I mean, yes we've missed her and everything, but 1 less person in our tiny space makes SUCH a difference! Especially when it means that Sprog 2 is no longer trying to decide which sister she is playing with!)
So, with DH away early on a trip out (he's a coach driver....... he has some really ridiculous schedules!) Sprog 2 decided she would step up and organise breakfast for herself and her sister without disturbing me. Lovely heh?!
I gradually came too as the sounds of "Fireman Sam" on endless repeat filtered through my foggy brain.
Stumbling downstairs I discovered that they had helped themselves to our Traditional "First Saturday of the Holidays" breakfast of Chocolate chip muffins. No problem there, they'd even managed to get the dirty plates to the kitchen sink! (Note to self, get Sprog 1 to go away more often Lol!)
Wonderful - and it was still only 8.30am!

It went downhill from there.

Half an hour later, while I had my hair full of soap and couldn't really hear much over the noise of the shower, along comes Sprog 2 - "Can we have a biscuit?"
What? Huh? - NO! You've only just had breakfast!

Another half an hour passes, and I'm busy sewing campblankets for the campfire we'd been invited to. Blankets and badges spread ALL over my bed (the largest uncluttered space in the house!). Up trundles Sprog 3 - clearly acting on orders from big sis! - "We're hungry, can we have a biscuit?"
No! You've only just had breakfast, we'll have elevenses in a bit!
........ It's now 9.45!


At 10.30 I wander into the kitchen to grab a drink and find out how things are...... and disover that the tops of all the muffins that were left are now missing! Picked over by little fingers!

Give her her due, Sprog 2 owned up immediately! - And was sent to clear up her bedroom floor as punishment.

So, I text DH (who is always complaining that I don't involve him with family discipline - on account of him never being around at "crunch time"!) and explain the situation.

.......... His suggestion??
..... to explain to Sprog 2 that the ONLY thing in the kitchen she can help herself to without asking is a drink!

...... Errrmmmmmmmm......... That's the rule anyway, which was the point of my asking for his input!

Arrggghhhhhh! :-)

Bless him!

And Sprog 2? Well she's been to apologise and has decided that her punishment should be "I won't have a muffin next time we have them" ..... so maybe I'm on the right track after all!
AM

No comments: