Tuesday 10 February 2009

Going "Around the Twist!"

As I write I'm sure I'm slowly going mad!

OK, we all know about "Baby Brain" but is there such a thing as "Toddler Brain" or "Nursery Schooler Brain"?
I've been at home now for almost 2 years, and even without the red bills and bank balances showing minus amounts that seem to fall throught the door with depressing regularity, anyone would know if they tried to hold a conversation with me.

Recently we had the TV on while my Husband was home. He chuckled away to himself all the way through the programme and couldn't understand why I didn't find it amusing. I'd seen the episode several times and could almost recite the script.
- The programme?....... "In the Night Garden"

I can wax lyrical with my 4 year old about the merits of Upsy Daisy dancing instead of singing, (and know who will be the only one out of bed at the end (always Iggle Piggle!), and we've shared all sorts of theories about Makka Pakka's love of stones, but do I know what the current requirements for Numeracy in the classroom are? Or how to plan the "new" phonics work?

Its depressing! :-) Here I am, trawling the recruitment sites of education authorities within a 20mile radius for a job, and yet I now have little understanding of what that job entails!

I'm beginning to think that I'm doomed forever to be several steps behind the general adult population whenever I'm included in a "proper" conversation (thankfully rarely, because I'd be embarassed!)
Is it me - or do other Mums feel the same?!

No comments: